Matt. 19: Jesus Returns to Judea
The Pharisees Again Test Jesus As He Continues To Teach About the Kingdom of Heaven
In today’s lesson we see:
- Jesus enters Judea;
- Jesus proclaims God’s standard for marriage and only grounds for divorce given;
- Jesus blesses the little children;
- Jesus meets a rich young ruler; and
- Jesus appoints the apostles to their position in the coming kingdom.
In the movement in Matthew, our attention is now directed to the geography of the gospel. Jesus again enters Judea as He moves to Jerusalem for the last time before His crucifixion. There is definite intention in all that He does and says. The death of Christ on the cross was not an unintended and unfortunate end to Jesus’ short (3-year) ministry. It was fulfillment of prophecy and God’s eternal plan of salvation.
Matthew 13 in the Mystery Parables Discourse has given us the overall outline of the Kingdom of Heaven in this age, but there are still questions to be answered. Today’s lesson and the next few chapters of Matthew answer many of them. One of the key principles Jesus teaches in Matthew 18 is that a new birth is essential to becoming a citizen of the kingdom. We too can be resurrected to eternal life with Christ in His Kingdom.
[pullquote_center width=”85%”]Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 19:13-14)[/pullquote_center]
Get Plugged Into God’s Plan Today
If you are uncertain of your standing with God, then go to Him right now to start your eternal relationship with Him. His free gift of eternal life and sanctification in Christ is there for the asking. Once you have taken that first step of salvation, our study in Matthew will get you well on your way to a loving and lasting relationship with the Almighty God who is seeking your friendship. He will guide you into all the truth (John 16:13) and help you become and do all He has in store for you.
- CLICK HERE to listen to today’s lesson, Jesus Returns to Judea – Matt. 19:1-30.
- CLICK HERE for an overview of the Gospel of Matthew.
- CLICK HERE to open or download notes and the outline for the Gospel of Matthew.
- CLICK HERE for more about putting your faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation.
- CLICK HERE to access the complete listing of Bible Studies in the Book of Matthew.