Matt. 21: Jesus Enters Jerusalem
Crowds Hail King Jesus As He Enters on a Donkey
In today’s lesson we see:
- Enter Jerusalem officially;
- Cleanses the temple;
- Curses the barren fig tree;
- Challenged by the chief priests and elders, and
- Condemns the religious leaders by parables of the two sons and the householder whose servants slew his son.
The movement in Matthew comes back into sharp focus in this chapter. Jesus comes to Jerusalem in a new role. Previously He had entered the city unobtrusively. Now He presses His claims as King upon the city of the King.
Nothing could be more forward or daring. He cleanses the temple for the second time. This is presumption of the first order if He is not the One whom He claims to be. He curses the fig tree, which is a symbolic action.
With great boldness Jesus meets the challenge of the religious rulers and by parable accuses them of plotting His death. You will note the decisive and deliberate tone in the method of Jesus. He is forcing the issue now. He will force them to act when and how He chooses. He is in full control of the entire situation. He is never more kingly than when He approaches the Cross.
[pullquote_center width=”85%”]And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way. And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest. (Matthew 21:8-9)[/pullquote_center]
Get Plugged Into God’s Plan Today
If you are uncertain of your standing with God, then go to Him right now to start your eternal relationship with Him. His free gift of eternal life and sanctification in Christ is there for the asking. Once you have taken that first step of salvation, our study in Matthew will get you well on your way to a loving and lasting relationship with the Almighty God who is seeking your friendship. He will guide you into all the truth (John 16:13) and help you become and do all He has in store for you.
- CLICK HERE to listen to today’s lesson, King Jesus Enters Jerusalem – Matt. 21.
- CLICK HERE for an overview of the Gospel of Matthew.
- CLICK HERE to open or download notes and the outline for the Gospel of Matthew.
- CLICK HERE for more about putting your faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation.
- CLICK HERE to access the complete listing of Bible Studies in the Book of Matthew.