Exodus 2b: A False Start
Moses Kills an Egyptian Slavemaster and Flees
In today’s lesson, we see:
- Moses slays an Egyptian slavemaster
- Moses marries the daughter of Jethro;
- God hears and responds to the sufferings of His people.
In today’s lesson, Moses is now 40 years old, having been trained in the finest Egyptians schools and raised an Egyptian. But is aware of his Jewish heritage. Seeing the plight of his brethren, he takes matters into his own hands and kills one of the Egyptian slavemasters.
On hearing this, Pharoah sought to have Moses killed, so Moses flees to the neighboring country of Midian where he will spend the next 40 years as a shepherd. There he will earn his B.D. – Back of the Desert degree – as God grooms him for his future leadership role.
Though Moses has been trained in the finest schools of the day, God needs to develop Moses spiritually. He will need that fortitude to confront the great and powerful Pharoah of Egypt and lead millions of people out of Egypt to the land of God’s promise.
Do you feel abandoned of God, at a dead end in your career, doing nothing of lasting significance. That may in fact be God’s design to bring you closer to Him to prepare you for the important task of eternal significance for which you are destined. Like Moses, you need to listen and respond to God, and your faithfulness even in the small things will be rewarded.
And it came to pass in process of time, that the king of Egypt died: and the children of Israel sighed by reason of the bondage, and they cried, and their cry came up unto God by reason of the bondage. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God had respect unto them. – Exodus 2:23-25
Get Plugged Into God’s Plan Today
If you are uncertain of your standing with God, then go to Him right now to start your eternal relationship with Him. His free gift of eternal life and sanctification in Christ is there for the asking. Once you have taken that first step of salvation, our study in Matthew will get you well on your way to a loving and lasting relationship with the Almighty God who is seeking your friendship. He will guide you into all the truth (John 16:13) and help you become and do all He has in store for you.
- CLICK HERE to listen to today’s lesson, Exodus 2b: A False Start.
- CLICK HERE for an overview of the Book of Exodus.
- For more about the Egyptian gods, CLICK HERE to access Ancient Egypt Online.
- CLICK HERE to open or download notes and the outline for the Book of Exodus.
- CLICK HERE for more about putting your faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation.
- CLICK HERE to access the complete listing of Bible Studies in the Book of Exodus.