I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. – Psalms 121:1-4
Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us that God may open a door to us for the message, to speak the mystery of the Messiah, for which I am in prison… – Colossians 4:2-3
Prayer is a most remarkable and unusual aspect of life. Believers live by it, unbelievers mock it, yet everyone at sometime has probably uttered some form of prayer, especially in times of great need.
What make prayer special and important? Consider this:
- Prayer is simple and straight-forward.
- Prayer is profound, unfathomable, and immeasurable in its impact.
- Prayer is essential to the Christian life.
Prayer has been defined as:
- Asking a favor; an earnest request or entreaty.
- The act of addressing supplication to a divinity, especially to the true God.
- A solemn address to God in public or secret (private) prayer, consisting of:
- Adoration, an expression of our sense of God’s glorious perfections,
- Confession of and repentance (turning away) from our sins,
- Thanksgiving, expressing gratitude to God for his mercies and benefits,
- Supplication for mercy and forgiveness, intercession for others.
- Prayer is the Christian’s Responsibility
- Prayer is God’s Provision for God’s People
The Essential Aspects of Prayer
To live requires a few essential activities on our part — we must breath, we must eat food and drink water, we must sleep, we must have physical activity. None of these is particularly difficult. A proper balance of these activities has a profound positive effect on our health. But a lack of any of these will have profound negative, even deadly effect. Here are five elements that describe the essential nature of prayer in the Christian life:
- Prayer is SIMPLE
- Prayer is PROFOUND
- Prayer is ESSENTIAL
- Prayer is OUR RESPONSIBILITY
- Prayer is GOD’S PROVISION